Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home
23720 Farmington Road
Farmington, MI 48336
248.474.5200


Our Beginnings

the Heeney Funeral Home, c. 1935
the Heeney Funeral Home, c. 1935
The establishment of the Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home began around 1850 as one of the first Farmington businesses and the first funeral service provider in Michigan. Its founding is credited to businessman Mr. Sergius P. Lyon, a home builder and carpenter, who moved here in 1844.

A.F. Neuendorf, from Germany, a well-known undertaker and employee of S.P. Lyon, acquired the company around 1880.

In 1903, Harry Weaver of Northville, purchased the business from Neuendorf. He previously was employed as a conductor for the Detroit United Railway.

Mr. Weaver, some 7 years later, was stricken with tuberculosis when it is believed he sold the firm to Frank F. Zessau, enabling Mr. Weaver to move to Colorado in search of a cure for his illness.

In 1915, Mr. Zessau sold the business to William E. Heeney of Plymouth.

In 1922, William sold the Funeral Home to his brother, Spencer. Spencer ran the firm until his sudden demise on April 25, 1963. His wife, Florence, continued the tradition until May 1, 1964, when she sold the company to Walter E. Sundquist. Mrs. Heeney died January 14, 1969.

A growing business volume made necessary the large south addition to the facility in 1970, and further expansions to parking and building in 1988, and again in 1990.

Mark R. Ziegler joined the staff in 1989, following graduation from Wayne State University and became Mr. Sundquist's partner in 1994, and his eventual successor.  Mark, his family, and dedicated, capable staff, work very hard to maintain the level of sincerity and dedication to our profession for which our firm is widely recognized.

Sadly, Mr. Sundquist died July 11, 2013.